How can I keep my kids' teeth healthy?
The cornerstone of our practice is prevention. If we can help you keep your child's teeth healthy, this will lead to a lower cost of dental care, fewer appointments, less time missed from school, and no anxiety regarding dental care. Some kids tend to be more cavity prone than others. Part of every exam includes a parent and child interview to assess hygiene practices and diet at home. This information, combined with findings from a clinical exam, help us to determine your child's risk for developing decay in the future. Then, we provide guidance regarding a specific cavity prevention plan based on your child's cavity risk.
For children at high risk for cavities, we offer a variety of preventive services. Some things we like to think about for our cavity-prone children:
- More frequent cleaning intervals
- Prescription-strength fluoride toothpaste
- Sealants on either primary or permanent teeth
- Diet counseling to identify behaviors that are high risk for development of cavities
- Oral hygiene instructions, including demonstration, to improve home care